Translate

Tuesday 19 March 2013

My First attempt at a wood floor

Some time ago I made the floor for one of the bedrooms in the house. I used lolly sticks, cutting them with an eze mitre cutter (I think that is what it's called?) I made a template of the room out of cardboard and then stuck the sticks to the cardboard. That way I could work at my kitchen table and not be tied to the house :-)

Work in progress

Once I had finished the floor I sanded it and then waxed it. I haven't stuck it down yet in the house because I still need to wallpaper the walls. Above is a picture of work in progress. You will see that I had drawn guidelines in pencil, can't say I managed to keep entirely to the lines all the time:-) oh and I used a wood stain on the sticks before I started to cut them.

 

Finished floor

By the way, on a completely different subject, can I just say thank you to all 27 of my followers! I was surprised but really pleased to see that many :-) You are all welcome, and if anyone has any tips for future floors please let me know!

 

11 comments:

  1. El suelo ha quedado muy hermoso, con esas piezas tan pequeñas, es asombroso.
    Un abrazo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your floor looks pretty impressive. Well worth all the work involved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This floor is a real masterpiece!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Alice! Your floor is Most Impressive! I am green with envy! You have a done a wonderful job and it looks perfect in the designated room. How long did it end up taking to complete?

    elizabeth

    p.s. How are YOU keeping?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth, it took about 2-3 evenings if I remember rightly. I did it before Christmas, so can't remember exactly :-)

      I'm keeping ok thanks 😄

      Delete
  5. you have inspired me Alice......truly, I thought something like this was beyond my ability but you have opened my eyes to the do-ability of a project like this.....a heart felt thank you..
    hugs Virginia x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I love having a go at something and getting a result that I am happy with :-) please let me know when you post your results!

      Delete
  6. wow, this looks awesome! Those lolly sticks are a nightmare to cut, aren't they? And they are never the exact same width, so that means extra work on sanding after all the pieces are glued in place. But it does look amazing. Hats off! :)

    ReplyDelete